The Oak Grove Church of the Brethren congregation started its ministry in the Oak Grove community in 1902, as a Sunday School held in the Oak Grove School. The organizer of this ministry, C.E. Eller, donated much of the lumber, sawed from his timber, for the first meeting place built in 1908. Oak Grove was organized as a congregation in 1923, thus becoming independent from the mother congregation, Peters Creek Church of the Brethren which had begun north of Roanoke, VA before 1840.
God’s presence in the Oak Grove congregation has been reflected by the need for building expansions in 1925 and 1937 (also adding electricity and central heat), and by a move in 1960 to a larger parcel of land, located a block from the original structure which still stands (and is now Showtimers Theater.) Three additions have been made to the 1960 building, the most recent addition completed in 2005. Oak Grove Church continues to seek to be the hands and face of Christ, as we respond to Our Call.