Longing for God-with-us
When you were little, did you think that Christmas would never come? If I stop for just a minute, I can still get in touch with those feelings, way back in the corners of my mind. Now that we are adults, we tend to think of Christmas in a different way, most notably in the ways we hope other persons have those same Christmas longings in their lives.
Maybe those feelings of longing aren’t such a bad thing. If we can get past the stale Christmas songs and advertisements that radio and television stations have already started playing; if we can avoid being overwhelmed by the amount of shopping, cooking, wrapping and baking that needs to happen over the next month; then maybe we can allow those feelings of longing to emerge just enough to ask, “What are we longing for?”
The prophet Isaiah knew a thing or two about longing. His heart had been broken by a society that had rejected their special place in God’s plan and by a God who would not give up on those same people. Caught between the two, Isaiah tried to give his people something to long for in the midst of their futile attempts to control life on their own terms.
As we walk with Isaiah this Advent season, we’ll have the opportunity to consider our own longings. As we light the Advent candles each Sunday, we can ask ourselves, “How am I longing for hope, peace, love, and joy?” In the midst of a world that is an odd combination of beauty and ugliness, how are we longing for Immanuel, God-with-us?
- December 4 — Children/Youth Christmas Program at 5 pm
- December 11 — Adult Choir Cantata Appalachian Winter during morning worship at 11 am
- December 18 — Handbells play during morning worship service at 11 am
- December 18 — Christmas Caroling, meet at the church at 5:30 pm to carpool
- December 24 — Christmas Eve service at 7:00 pm, pre-service music at 6:45 pm
- November 27 (Advent 1): Swords, plowshares,and a path to the house of God, Isaiah 2:1-5
- December 4 (Advent 2): Happy animals and a life-giving stump, Isaiah 11:1-10
- December 11 (Advent 3): Streams in the desert, Isaiah 35:1-10
- December 18 (Advent 4): Make room in the nursery, Isaiah 7:10-16
- December 24 (Christmas Eve): Surprised by hope, Luke 2:8-15
- December 25 (Christmas Day): Christmas carols and Scripture